Saturday, November 28, 2009

Some black humor on the day

About fourteen years ago, after my parents' old cat Gretel died, my mom adopted a little calico kitten that she named Daisy. My dad grumbled about it, saying, "That cat's going to outlive me."

As the years went on, the two of them became fast friends--no small feat, given that Daisy was a bit of a psycho, and wouldn't really let anyone pet her.

Daisy developed renal failure early this week, and had to be put to sleep yesterday morning. Dad passed away early this morning. I think he'd be amused to know that his prognostication turned out to be wrong. In the end, it was a photo finish.

7 comments:

historiann said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Rosemary, and about Daisy too.

--S. said...

I've been thinking of you the past few days; I can only imagine how stressful it's been, but I'm glad to know that you're all there together. If there's anything we can do, don't hesitate to let us know.

Michael said...

We share S.'s sentiments. We're sorry to hear the news, but it's hopeful and helpful that you can still write a blog post like this one. You and your mom and your family are in the thoughts of many tonight.

Kirk and Cathy said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Christy said...

You're an inspiration, Rosemary. Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.

Jane said...

I love when people write about their lives, as they are happening, as you do here, Rosemary.

Beth Doyle said...

Thoughts and prayers coming your way for you and your whole family, including the furry ones. XXOO