Friday, July 1, 2011

The Pittsburgh (area) jazz scene circa 1948

I had no idea that my dad had been the music editor of WVU's humor magazine, Moonshine, until my mom unearthed a file folder with several issues in it.

In my last post, I wrote about the demise of WDUQ's jazz programming.  Here's a little taste of what Pittsburgh's jazz scene was like back in the day, courtesy of this column from February 1948 (click on the picture to see a larger version):




Woody Herman playing a dance in Morgantown?  Sigh...

(And no, I have no idea what the inside joke about "Boone-Jug" Waldo is at the end.  But I do know that Boone-Jug, aka Ray Waldo, went on to become principal of one of the largest county high schools in the state.  And his staff still called him Boone-Jug.  That's so West Virginia.  Here's a nice little anecdote about him from the Martinsburg Journal.)

No comments: