Sunday, March 1, 2015

All about the Hat

It's a snowy day here in Bexley, Ohio, where we are visiting for a short weekend.  Rose and I walked down to the local coffee shop (well, not really: it's a Starbucks, now that the Bexley Cup O'Joe has closed), First, though, I ducked into the new car to grab my hat.



I think I've mentioned the hat before: it's a black wool felt fedora with a wide-ish brim. Nothing special or expensive, but also not a polar-fleece cap.

And it was a good thing I grabbed it, as it snowed steadily the whole way to Starbucks. Which reminded me of what I usually say when some stranger or passerby compliments my hat: It keeps the rain off. Or, in this case, snow.

And then I told Rose about an odd conversation I had a few days ago. I was placing my order at the Blue Moose (the Morgantown coffee shop I usually hang out at after making a delivery to the post office) when the barista asked me what my name was. I told her, and she said "I'm glad to know, because I couldn't just keep calling you 'Hat-Guy' in my mind."

Rosemary laughed, and called me "Old School," but with the kind of anxious laugh that let me know that she was equal parts amused and afraid that I was getting a reputation as a local character: "Hat-Guy." So, in an attempt to stave that anxiety off, I reminded her of another hat-related conversation I'd had at the Blue Moose in recent months.

It was a rainy day and I walked into the Moose and one of the other "regulars," who looks like he might be one of the homeless folks who also hangs out there, said, "Nice hat." I replied (as is my habit), "It keeps the rain off." He told me I ought to go have it waterproofed at the local shoe-repair place, adding, "Tell them Backpack Jack sent you."

Somehow Rosemary wasn't comforted by this anecdote, or my remark that at least "Hat-Guy" wasn't a name I'd adopted for myself, as was Backpack Jack's. She countered that I didn't know what people in the Blue Moose might call me when I'm not around.

Apparently my hat is just the nickname-attracting sort of hat, now matter how much I think it's all about the weather. But if you see me wearing it, I'd probably rather go with Old School than Hat-Guy. If you have to choose.




5 comments:

--S. said...

I think both "Hat-Guy" and "Old School" are excellent, personally. One is about a thing you have, and the other is about a thing you are; taken together, I think you get a picture of the best kind of local character, the feller it's kind of reassuring to see ambling around town.

Rosemary said...

See, I don't really *want* Tom to become that "feller [you] see ambling around town," though I suspect it's already happened. I know: as a folklorist, I should embrace (if not encourage!) him to morph into a local character.

--S. said...

Well, I'd focus on the "reassuring" part more than the "character" part, but I can definitely understand how it's jarring to get that kind of externalized view of yourself.

It's not quite the same thing, but every now and then I get a hint of what my reputation is at work, and it's always startling. I'm gradually coming to realize that I should just embrace that, even as it feels wrong and contrary to my sense of myself.

Rosemary said...

Yes, I think one of the things I've learned in the last few years is that you really have no control over the stories that people tell about you, and that that's a good thing, really. Even if it is, as you say, startling.

Speaking of stories: Tom was at the public library's book sale yesterday, and a reporter from the local paper took a photo of him and asked him a few questions. Then the guy asked for Tom's name, which he provided. I told him he should have said "Just call me 'Hat Guy.'"

Steve Finnell said...

NO VOTE WILL BE TAKEN ON JUDGMENT DAY BY STEVE FINNELL
There are many who believe that when judgment day arrives; that, majority opinion will determine entry into heaven. Many people believe that God will not send people to hell just because they reject Jesus as the Christ.


Acts 4:10-12 ....by the name of Jesus Christ....12 And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.


On judgment day, some would have you believe there will be a listed ballot from which you can cast your vote for the Savior of your choice.


CHECK THE REDEEMER OF YOUR CHOICE


1. Jesus
2. Kiou-tse
3. Kriskna
4. Dhouvanai
5. Horus
6. Balder
7. Hiram Abiff
8. Sosiosch
9. None of the above.


There is just one choice "JESUS." That selection has to be made prior to judgment day.


THERE WILL NOT BE A SAVIOR VOTE TAKEN ON JUDGMENT DAY!


Many also believe God gives believer in Christ "multiple choice" plans of salvation from which to cast a vote.


1. The grace only plan.
2. The faith only plan.
3. The sinner's prayer plan.
4. The good works plan.
5. The water baptism only plan.
6. The confessing Jesus as the Christ only plan.
7. The repentance only plan.
8. The deathbed conversion plan.
9. The universal plan of salvation.


THERE WILL BE NO VOTE TAKEN, ON JUDGMENT DAY. THERE IS JUST ONE PLAN OF SALVATION..


There is one way to be saved.
FAITH: John 3:16
REPENTANCE: Acts 3:19, Acts 2:38
CONFESSION: Romans 10:9-10, Acts 8:37
WATER IMMERSION: Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16, John 3:5, Titus 3:5, Acts 22:16, Galatians 3:27, Romans 6:4, Colossians 2:12-13, Ephesians 5:25-27, 1 Peter 3:20-21.
ALL OF THESE ARE ESSENTIAL IN ORDER TO BE SAVED. Then remain faithful: Revelation 2:10


THERE WILL BE NO VOTE TAKEN ON JUDGMENT DAY!


Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.


There are 2.2 billion people who claim they are Christians. Do you believe that they will all enter through that narrow gate? If not, why not?


ON JUDGMENT DAY THERE WILL BE NO MAJORITY VOTE TAKEN TO DETERMINE WHO WILL BE SAVED!


JESUS HAS THE ONLY VOTE THAT WILL BE COUNTED!

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com