Monday, May 5, 2008

A great big snootful of spring

I knew that two of the great joys of moving back east would be fall and spring. While Colorado is certainly a beautiful place, for much of the year the plains are brown, brown, brown.

I don't think I realized just how accustomed I'd gotten to that until spring started bustin' out all over around here. The sheer greenness of everything is astounding...not to mention combined effect of that intense green with the almost psychedelic pinks, purples, reds, yellows, golds...I'd forgotten how utterly saturated with color everything is this time of year.

And then there's the scent. I'm not talking about the almost overpowering aromas of lilac, viburnum, honeysuckle, hyacinth, and the like (though those are stop-in-your-tracks amazing, too): I'm talking about the moist, earthy smell of a spring morning. Honest to god, I'd forgotten how wonderful that smell is.

No comments: